Welcome to TrafficwatchNI
Traffic Information Service
General Traffic News
Traffic updates will resume on Monday 15 Feb at 7:30am
For ' Winter Service and Emergency News' click on the blue button to the left of the screen.
A49 Saintfield Rd Lisburn Lane Closure this Weekend M1 bound
To facilitate NIE cable installation, there will be a lane closure in Lisburn on the A49 Saintfield Road between Mercer Street and Cromwell Highway (heading towards the M1) from 7:00 pm Friday 12th February to 06:00 am Monday 15th February.
A local diversion along Mercer Street, Hillhall Road & Largymore Drive will be in place - drivers should allow some extra time for their journey.
Motorists leaving the M1 at J6 Saintfield Road heading into Lisburn are unaffected by the works.
Roadworks A49 Ballynahinch Road
There are currently road improvements being carried out at the A49 Ballynahinch Road, B6 Saintfield Road and B178 Comber road junctions, Lisburn
The work is off peak between 09.30 and 16.00 daily
Temporary traffic signals are in place for the safety of all road users. Unfortunately due to the complicated nature of the traffic management delays of up to 10 minutes are being experienced.
Drivers should be aware of the works and if possible use an alternative route.
Temporary Closure of B175 Ballylough Rd, Castlewellan
The B175 Ballylough Road, Castlewellan will be temporarily closed from Monday 15th February 2016 to Friday 25th March 2016, Monday to Saturday 09:00hrs to 16:30hrs (note: the road will be open overnight and on Sundays).
Traffic is being diverted via A25 Ardnabannon Road / Castlewellan Road, A24 Newcastle Road / Drumaness Road and B175 Spa Road / Dunmore Road / Edendarriff Road / Ballylough Road.
The closure is to facilitate carriageway resurfacing work.
Expect delays when travelling in this area.
B102 Stewartstown Road - Belfast Rapid Transit Scheme
As part of the Belfast Rapid Transit Scheme there will be temporary lane closures on Stewartstown Road from the junction with Finaghy Road North, for approximately 2km, to Michael Ferguson Roundabout. Road users should expect delays during the works.
Works are planned in the area throughout 2016
Strangford Lough Ferry Service
In County Down, the Strangford Lough Ferry will run with a 7.5 ton weight restriction until further notice. There will also be an extra 7:15am sailing from Portaferry Monday to Friday until then.
Driving in Adverse Weather
Weather conditions at this time of year bring a number of hazards for the road user including ice, snow, excess surface water and debris from high winds. The police have offered the following advice:
- Allow extra time for your journey
- Slow down and leave plenty of room to stop. You should allow at least three times more space than usual between you and the car in front of you.
- Brake gently to avoid skidding. If your wheels start to lock, ease off the brakes.
- Turn on your lights to increase your visibility to other motorists and always clear all ice and snow off the car windows before setting out.
- Drive slowly on snow in the highest gear possible.
- Never overtake snowploughs or gritting lorries. The drivers have limited visibility, and you're likely to find the road in front of them worse than the road behind.
- Do not assume your vehicle can handle all conditions. Even four-wheel drive vehicles can encounter trouble on winter roads.