Traffic Information Service
Police Safety Message - Adverse Weather
Weather conditions at this time of year bring a number of hazards for the road user including ice, snow, excess surface water and debris from high winds. The police have offered the following advice:
- The most important thing you can do in poor driving conditions is slow down. Reducing your speed increases your chances of stopping safely in an emergency.
- You should also allow a greater distance from the vehicle in front. It will take longer to brake to a halt on a wet or icy road than on a dry road.
- It is dangerous to assume that anti-lock brakes will help you to stop more quickly – they will not. What the system does is enable you to steer while braking and reduces the chances of skidding.
- When it is raining, you need also to look out for surface water. Hitting this at too great a speed increases the chances of aqua-planing and losing control.
- In rain you should also use your dipped headlights – no matter what time of day it is. This is not just about seeing; it is about being seen by others.
- In frosty weather, you need also to drive more slowly. But the first thing you should do is ensure that all your vehicle’s windows are clear of frost, or snow if it has fallen.
- In fog switch your lights on if you cannot see more than 100 metres ahead. You may also want to switch on your fog lights, but these should be turned off once normal visibility resumes.
- Driving protectively can help reduce the number of collisions, and potentially the risk of serious injuries or fatalities.
Roadworks - Bridge End, Belfast
In Belfast, a resurfacing scheme on Bridge End, between Dalton Street and Queens Bridge, is ongoing and will be completed over two consecutive weekends. The works will involve full road closures from 6am to 10pm on Sundays 1st and 8th February 2015 on:
- Bridge End (between Dalton Street and Queens Bridge);
- Station Street (between Middlepath Street and Bridge End);
- Station Street Flyover
Diversionary routes will be signed. Expect delays and allow additional time especially if attending events within Titanic Quarter.
Roadworks M2 at J5 off slip
The M2 southbound off-slip at Junction 5 Templepatrick will be closed to traffic from Monday 2nd February for a period of 3 weeks to facilitate major roadworks on the A57 Ballyclare Road. Alternative routes will be signed via Junction 6 (Rathbeg) and Junction 4 (Sandyknowes).