Traffic Information Service
General Traffic News
This Office is now closed - Live traffic updates will resume Monday 20th November at 07:30am
Normal Office hours are 07.00 – 21.00 Mon to Fri and 09.00 – 17.00 Saturdays.
Roads Related Emergency News is updated 24/7 as necessary – please click on the blue Emergency News Button.
Belfast - Christmas Lights Switch On Saturday 18 November
Due to the build for the Christmas Market and the Christmas light switch-on event, traffic diversions will be in operation in and around Belfast City Hall to Sunday 19 November. Please follow the alternative route signage eastbound and northbound from the city centre as directed.
- Parking restrictions will be in place in Donegall Place and Upper Arthur Street until 11pm on Saturday 18 November. This includes blue badge parking.
On Saturday 18 November 2017 from 3pm to 11pm:
- Donegall Place and Donegall Square West will be closed to vehicles.
- Donegall Square North from Wellington Place will be closed to vehicles. Translink services will have access to Upper Queen Street.
- Chichester Street will be closed to vehicles with provision for Translink and Belfast Public Hire taxis to exit.
Pedestrians will be able to access the areas above until 5.30pm. After this time, the area will become a ticket holder only zone for entry.
The Public Hire Taxi at Donegall Square North will be relocated to Donegall Square East on 18 November.
Visit Translink's website for up-to-date Metro service routes.
Belfast - Rapid Transit Scheme
Belfast Rapid Transit (BRT) is an innovative and ambitious project that will create a new and dynamic public transport system for Belfast. BRT will provide fast and reliable services connecting East and West Belfast, Titanic Quarter and key locations of economic and social activity in the city centre and along the BRT corridors.
Current work locations:
- Falls Rd/Andersonstown Rd (Whiterock Rd to Finaghy Road North) – Off-peak lane closures expected until May 2018
- Upper Newtownards Road (Knock Rd to Dunlady Rd) – Full time Lane closures expected until June 2018
- Stewartstown Rd (Michael Ferguson Roundabout to McKinstry Rd) – Off-peak lane closures expected until June 2018
- City Centre(Oxford St & East Bridge St) - Off-peak lane closures expected until June 2018
- BRT Halts – Short length, off-peak lane closures on all BRT routes to accommodate construction of new halts until June 2018
For the latest news please click on the link: BRT
Lane Closure - A6 Toome - Bypass Westbound to Friday 22 Dec
A daily off-peak lane closure on the A6 Toome Bypass Westbound between a point 800 metres West of A6 Brecart Roundabout and a point 600 m East of A6 Creagh Roundabout - has been extended until 16:00 hours Friday 22nd December.
The closure is to facilitate the A6 Dualling Scheme - Lane Closure (Off-Peak Only) Traffic Control in Operation - Delays can be expected
M22 Contraflow at A6 Moneynick Road to April 2018
Motorists are advised that a contraflow system is in place on the M22 joining the A6 Moneynick Road until April 2018.
This is a necessary part of the ongoing A6 dual carriageway upgrade works. Road users should expect delays and leave extra time for journeys.
Belfast Flood Alleviation Works - Upper N`ards & Knock Roads
The main junction between Upper Newtownards Road and Knock Road has been reopened, however some lane closures remain in place between Earlswood Road and Ormiston Drive. Further information can be found here.
Co Down - A1 Slip Roads - Hillsborough Castle New Car Park
Co Down - Works commence Tuesday 13 June 2017 to construct Slip Roads into and out of the new car park for Hillsborough Castle on the A1 Hillsborough Road / Bypass on the south bound carriageway.
The works take place between the Hillsborough Roundabout and the Pantridge Link grade separated junction, with the hard shoulder being closed in the vicinity of the works and a 50mph temporary speed limit in place.
Work is expected to take up to 15 weeks to complete (although the carpark is not expected to become operational until late 2018)
- A free vehicle recovery vehicle call out will operate over the section of the southbound carriageway, in the vicinity of the works.
Motorists are asked to allow additional time for their journey and take extra care in the vicinity of the works.
New on iOS & Android - Belfast Metro Bus Tracker App
Department for Infrastructure and Translink have launched an App for real time bus information at all Metro bus stops called Belfast Bus Tracker.
The App gives immediate access to real time information about bus services across the Metro network in the Greater Belfast area.
Using the built-in GPS features of your smart phone to work out where you are, the App will provide real time, audio and visual public transport information whilst at the bus stop, at home, at work or on the move.
The App is available now to download for free from iOS and Android App Stores
The App features allow you to:
- Save your favourite stops;
- Follow your bus on its route to your stop;
- Find bus stops by address or near your current location; and
- Check current and future bus schedules.